Light therapy is not a new phenomenon, the use of colour to restore imbalance within the body stems far back to Mayan culture and was also used by the ancient Egyptians. This visual form of holistic healing employs colours and their energetic qualities in order to transform the emotional, mental or physical wellbeing of a person. .
Light therapy, when used as part of a healthy lifestyle, can aid in the recovery of the body by decreasing swelling, reducing inflammation and accelerating open wound healing. There is much evidence suggesting that infrared light delays wound healing by reducing the production of key inflammatory factors and increasing the key factors in the healing process. It can also be used for temporary pain management with minor injuries such as; joint pain, muscle pain arthritis and burns. This non-invasive technique is one of the most effective ways to maintain good health.
Clinical trials support the use of infrared saunas to help combat high blood pressure and congestive heart failure. As daily infrared sauna therapy lowered blood pressure in patients with a higher risk of heart disease. Repeated infrared sauna therapy helped improve heart function in patients with increased heart disease risk. After two weeks of daily sauna therapy, the patients also had improved blood flow.
Similarly, on those with both type I and type II diabetes the use of infrared saunas shows promising results. It has been proven that one week of infrared light therapy significantly aids in the recovery of the healthy foot from diabetic foot ulcers. Trials proved that infrared lamp helped prevent infection and after one month of daily sauna sessions, the patient’s ulcers shrank in size and had fewer secretions.
- Blue promotes relaxation and calm. Blue exhibits tranquilizing qualities often used to relieve headaches and migraines, colds, stress, nervous tension, rheumatism, stomach pains, muscle cramps and liver disorders. Blue is thought to have a positive effect on all kinds of pain.
- Yellow, the brightest colour used in chromotherapy, has been used to purify the skin, help with indigestion, strengthen the nervous system, treat glandular diseases, hepatitis and lymphatic disorders and assist metabolism.
- Red is believed to increase the pulse, raise blood pressure and increase the rate of breathing. Red would be applied to support circulatory and nervous functions.
- Green, a colour associated with harmony, provides a neutral, positive calming effect. help relax muscles, nerves, and thoughts. The colour green cleanses and balances our energy, to give a feeling of renewal, peace and harmony.
- Violet is used to calm the nervous system, soothe organs and relax muscles. Violet has meditative qualities and is often used to treat conditions of the lymphatic system and spleen, as well as urinary disorders and psychosis.
- Orange is a mixture of red and yellow. Activates and eliminates localized fat. Assists with asthma and bronchitis
- Pink activates and eliminates impurities in the blood stream.